jueves, 4 de septiembre de 2008

Chilean salmon regulation

This article from the New York Times follows up on their quite controversial report on Salmon farms in Chile from a few months ago. As a result of their initial report, major supermarket chains in the US, such as Safeway, stopped carrying Chilean salmon. This of course infuriated most Chileans and have made them hate the New York Times.

However, in a positive light, it seems that the government is doing something about regulating these salmon farms and the amount of antibiotics they can push into these over-fished farms. Not surprisingly, there is little regulation on the matter in Chile, and of course the Chilean regulations are not up to par with those in the United States. I don't know if this is Chile's problem, or the US'. How many years have they been importing Chilean salmon? And only now, after the New York Times investigates, does anyone realize that these salmon are not up to regulations? I say this is a problem of the FDA and the United States and Chile has taken a hit for this.

On the other hand, this has made me reconsider buying salmon in the super market. It has almost made me question exactly what I am eating down here? The regulations on food are definitely more relaxed here, and for that exact reason I don´t buy Paraguayan meat. ( What is that anyways?). But I love the cheap, delicious, fresh salmon here so I guess I will keep on eating it, with or without regulations, and if I die, at least I will die happy with a fully belly.

1 comentario:

Poofbegone dijo...

That's good to know. Japan and CHile have a free trade agreement so loads of Chilean salmon is exported to Japan. I used to eat it frequently. According to my hubby once there was some kind of scandal when the US government stopped importing Chilean grapes saying that they were covered in an unsafe amount of pesticides but in the Chilean media it was said that the Americans actually applied those chemicals because they didn't want cheap Chilean produce to hurt the U.S. market.

Sounds like what happens now in Japan and the rest of the world in regards to Chinese products.