viernes, 12 de septiembre de 2008

Surprise, surprise- Unrest in Bolivia

Not surprisingly, Evo Morales is having problems in Bolivia. Has Bolivia ever not had economic and political problems? This time its with the United States. Most recently, he has told the US Ambassador to Bolivia to leave the country. While I understand very little about this, I do know that the US provides Bolivia with millions of dollars to fight the drugs in the country, mostly cocaine. I do not agree with the production of cocaine, however, I have been to Peru and the north of Chile, and I personally like cocoa tea. Chewing on cocoa leaves got me through the Inka trail up to Macchu Picchu. So part of me understands why the locals are upset. Cocoa leaves are not always used to make cocaine, and the plant is an integral part of their culture. However, I also do not like cocaine and think it needs to be controlled. I am not sure what the right answer is, but hopefully some kind of balance between controlling a dangerous drug and preserving a local tradition can be found.

No hay comentarios.: